Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Swan Dance Update


Tonight's the big swan dance. We've had a few rehearsals this week and the dance keeps getting longer as our choreographer, Wendy, adds new flourishes to the routine.

Our dance has a nice little narrative arc of young romance, heartbreak, emotional recovery, and then finding happiness where you'd least expect it. It's quite a stirring performance. The basic structure is this:

The male swans begin with a flock dance. We then pose at the back of the stage while our female swans dance across the stage and eventually find us. Then there's a group line dance in which my female swan, Sally, and I break off and perform a circular dance-and-spin routine. Sally then leaves me for another swan, and I am heartbroken. But then, out of nowhere, another female swan (Lily) swoops in and we dance happily ever after.

I'll have pictures from the final performance. My costume looks an awful lot like a tutu, although Wendy says that's not what it is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pictures! Please show pictures. Good for you, Jumping right into the culture!

brittontaylor said...

this is starting to get really good