Monday, February 2, 2009

Hugeness


My apartment is a 37-storey building that is part of a complex of about ten 37-storey buildings called The Summit Celebrity Garden. Most of the tenants are like me: people here on business assignments from other countries. Across the street there is another complex that's about the same size, and down the road there are two others that are even larger. So within a two block perimeter, I would estimate there are close to 10,000 people who are here just for work.

If you've seen my fireworks video, you also know that there are also enough locals on the block to make New Years celebrations seem like an earthquake-firestorm-meteor stike. I haven't spotted any celebrities here, but The Summit Celebrity Garden has made me think about how enormous China is.

Back to my fellow tenants: About half are from Western countries and the rest from other parts of Asia. Most of them can identify me immediately as an American and love practicing their English if they catch me in the elevator -- "Haallo! What floor you go to? Sirty-fiveh! OK!"


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the city pretty clean and nice? What a challenge to keep the streets clean in that density - but the photo shows a tidy streetscape.

ATLG said...

Shanghai is definitely not clean! The complex is set back from the street and cleaner than most areas.