Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Strangest Taxi Ride of My Life

Leaving work, I flagged down a taxi and got in. In my bad Chinese, I gave my cross streets to the driver, he nodded, and we were off.

After about three blocks, the driver pulled the car to the side of the road and stopped. He said something to me in Chinese. I motioned that I couldn't understand. He repeated whatever he said, this time shouting, and then got out of the cab, crossed the street and started sprinting into a public park.

Alone in the cab, I waited for a minute or two to see if he'd come back. He never did. I guess I'll never know...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Why is it universally believed that shouting makes a foreigh language understood? Do you find yourself shouting back?
Mom

ATLG said...

Well, I usually try to talk slowly in English which doesn't help. Sometime spanish comes out if I try to speak mandarin.

alison said...

this story just made my day.

miss you drew!!! happy thanksgiving!

MissMary said...

next time just drive the cab yourself- that would be the NYC style.
then beat up a cyclist on the Brooklyn Bridge- that would be the Guiteras style.

RaymondG said...

So then what happened?